*Photo and Content Updated May 2012*
Usually, I can just tell while I’m cooking something if it’s going to be delicious or if it’s just going to be okay (or terrible). The whole time that I was making this, I was so excited because I knew that it was going to be incredible. And it was. Brandon and I could barely stop eating it. Neither one of us had ever had a similar dish before this, and we really enjoyed all of the different flavor components that were layered into the dish. The sausage and shrimp tasted so rich and succulent alongside all of the fresh vegetables and the creamy rice, and because everything was cooked together in the same pan, you could really taste all of the flavors in every single bite. I served this dish alongside diced avocado, and it really added a fresh and cool contrast to the rest of the flavors.
Rice with Sausage and Shrimp
Source: Adapted from Laylita’s Recipes
1/2 vidalia onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup white rice, uncooked
2 cups chicken broth
1 lb Italian sausage
1/2 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
Handful of fresh cilantro
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, and cook until the sausage is no longer pink and is starting to brown.
2. Add the onions and the peppers to the pan, and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Add the minced garlic to the pan, and stir to combine.
4. Add the diced tomatoes to the pan, and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
5. Add the rice to the pan, and stir to combine.
6. Add the chicken broth to the pan, and bring to a simmer. Cover, and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
7. Add the shrimp to the pan, cover the pan again, and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, approximately 6-8 minutes.
8. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
9. Serve with fresh avocado.