Inspiration: Our football team is the Cowboys, and with the NFL playoffs in full swing, B and I thought it would be fun to have a big appetizer spread to watch our team play this past Sunday. And these were just too cute for me to pass up! Unfortunately for us, our team decided not to show up for the game, but the food sure was good :)
What we Loved: What I loved most about these appetizers was how pretty and tasty they looked! I just loved the bright and healthy vegetable colors. And the taste was great, too! The flavors of fresh tomato, citrusy pepper pesto, and hearty mozzarella worked so well together and provided for a light and refreshing snack.
Helpful Hints: Our appetizer spread had a Mexican theme, so I used a cilantro yellow pepper pesto that I had leftover in the freezer from this recipe to give these tomatoes a nice Mexican twist. I think that they would be really great, though, with traditional pesto or with any other type of pesto or spread that you prefer!
Cherry Tomato Bites
Source: Adapted from Zoe
1 container cherry tomatoes
1-2 oz mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons pesto
1. Cut a small slit off of the bottom of each tomato, which will allow the tomato to sit upright. Then cut a bigger slit from the top of each tomato. Using a knife, cut out the inside of the tomato, and then use your fingers to remove all of the extra seeds.
2. Cut the mozzarella into small cubes, cutting one cube for each tomato.
3. Add the pesto to a bowl. Toss the mozzarella cubes in the pesto to coat.
4. Fill each tomato with one mozzarella cube and a bit of the pesto.
5. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.